We made these simple ghosts with my daughter who was 5 at the time. They were very easy to make and she was even able to do the craft by herself after I showed her how (how often does that happen?). There are a few different materials you can use and you should already have everything you need in house. We hung these around the house and some outside on a big holly tree for Halloween decorations.
- ping-pong balls (optional)
- white tissues and/or white shopping or garbage bags
- white string
- black marker
- orange yarn or white twist-ties
- lollypops (optional)
- cotton balls (optional)
What to do:
- If you will be hanging your ghosts outside, use a white shopping bag or garbage bag. Cut up the bag into 8in x 8in (or larger) squares. If making for indoor use, just use white tissues.
- Make a small hole in the center of the material and thread a piece of string through the hole for hanging the ghost. Tie off the inside end to keep in place.
- Place ping-pong ball or lollipop in the middle of the square and wrap around, making a head. Make lollipop ghosts for Halloween party favors or to give away to trick-or-treaters. I would use ping-pong balls if hanging outside. I have in years past just stuffed the middle with cotton balls or bunched up tissues shaped into a ball, but they do get wet outside even if wrapped in a plastic bag.
- Tie underneath the “head” with a piece of yarn or use white twist ties like we did.
- Use black marker to draw the ghost’s face on the head. My daughter decided to make hers happy ghosts!