- Diwali is a joyous holiday of lights and special foods celebrated around the world.
- The word “Diwali” comes from the Sanskrit word “Deepavali” which means “rows of lights”.
- The lights that decorate homes, businesses, and streets, represent the triumph of light over dark or good over evil.
- Diwali is always in October or November and lasts for several (5) days with the main night of celebration happening on the darkest night of the festival.
- Traditionally there are fireworks and street festivals, although this year will be a little different and will include virtual events to accommodate social distancing.